January 4, 2012

Face To Face With The Homie RAV P






A QUICK Q&A WITH THE HOMIE RAVP...


 Esco: Yo, waddup bro, Happy New Year

RavP: same to you my dude


 Esco: I became familiar with you through managing Dj Steel and he hosted your mixtape... When did you begin your career?

RavP: I began taking my career as an artist seriously in 2009 around the time I moved back to NJ


 Esco: Ok, so are you originally from Jerz?

RavP: yes Essex County all day


 Esco: Dope!!! What were some of your influences when you decided to take your career seriously?

RavP: I was managed by a few people since I moved back to NJ and they all were a fail lol but still a valuable lesson. No one took my career as serious as me but they still got some things done for me. But because I witnessed how easy it was to just pick up the phone and reach out to venues, blogs, promoters, DJs etc. i was like F IT I'm gonna be my own manager/promoter. So really it was failure that inspired me to really go hard and treat myself like a brand and no longer a hobby that I love


 Esco: Interesting, as a manager myself there aren't many artists willing to take that role on. I know for a year or two I would see you everywhere on your grind... the previous answer fully explained it all.
Who are some artists as well as producers and writers you have worked with?

RavP: I have come across a lot of talented artist/producers on the come up. In my early years being that Wyclef was very attainable I ended up at his studio in East Orange a couple times and vibed out/got advice. Liveson (producer/engineer for Jadakiss) was another moment in my career that was special. Other dope producers include: Dough (Coast2Coast), Sky High (produced for NBA 2K video game and the A-Team), Coastyn, jimms, Saldi Lama (worked w Twista), SoulFul Music and a bunch others. As far as artist I worked with Albe Back (actor/artist), Clay Leroy, Asi Frio, Dox Diggla, Dre Skuffs, Giovanni Keyz, Ameer (Tommy Boy ENT) and many more super dope underrated artist on the rise


 Esco: Nice, what are some of your long and short term goals as far as your career goes?

RavP: This year my goals are to get more shows/exposure overseas. More support from blogs and DJs as well. Long term I want to be on tour and have a P&D deal (publishing & distribution). I feel my strong point is my performance game, as I have performed at over 30 venues in the last year or so, I def had plenty practice around a bunch of different crowds.


 Esco: Who are some people you're interested in workng with?

RavP: Justice League! I think they are some of the dopest producers of our time (just my opinion). S/O to ROOK who actually heard and seems to like my work. Alchemist, Dr Dre, Pete Rock, Primo, No ID, Kanye, Nas just to name a few lol


 Esco: What do you feel the "game" is missing?

RavP: The game lost its edge. Instead of setting trends and taking risk with talented artist it seems (the game) to have become settled with being a follower. We created this Hip Hop thing which is the most influential genre of music currently but we don't act like it. Although the internet is a gift and a curse I feel it has at least created space for talented indie artist to come up on their own but, even that in a case has its fault. As a few wack artist w gimmicks came up A LOT of dope talented artist came up as well which i'm proud to see


 Esco: Couldn't agree more, I'm actually in the midst of reading Steve Stoute's book which touches on that.

RavP: I LOVE THAT BOOK! "Tanning of America"


 Esco: Anything that you would like to share with your fanbase... upcoming shows, new music, new videos?

RavP: Absolutely! Jan 12th (my bday) i'm performing at Dolce lounge, college tour w the College Expo, documentary on the NYC-LIFE channel. Make sure yah download that #passportFriday tape hosted by DJ Superstar Jay. New video "Make this dough/visions freestyle" dir by Nimi Hendrix. Sign up for my site www.iamravp.com


 Esco: cool bro, It's been a pleasure and I'm sure that I'll be seeing you sooner than later...

RavP: mos def...i appreciate this interview #passport #keepClimbing

No comments:

Post a Comment