September 6, 2012

FACE TO FACE:: LaMonica McIver




Esco:  So Miss McIver.... I've known you for a while now and we first met at a party initially. Tell me who are you?
 LM: Ummm well that's a long answer to sum up. I'm a 26 Year Old African American Woman from the City of Newark. I'm an Educator, a Mentor, and a Life Learner.
Esco: Ok... I've met some pretty cool people in my short life span, I must say that you're one of them. What is it that you do?
 LM: For a living?
Esco: Yes
 LM: Currently, I'm a HR Partner for Newark Public Schools. I serve as a HR Generalist to almost 30 schools. That includes hiring Teachers, School Leaders, and School Support Staff Members. I basically make sure each school I manage has effective staff members who are on the job 24/7 and making sure ineffective ones are not.  That's what I do for a "Living".
Esco: I know for a fact that you are involved in so much... can you touch on some of those things?
 LM: I'm involved in a little bit of politics and community development within the City of Newark. I've written for a few online magazines ( Celebrity Cafe & Urban Magazine) in the past and I currently have my own blog (www.asknjblogprincess.com) that I update regularly. My newest adventure is my Non-Profit Organization called Newark G.A.L.S., Inc. that I Co-Founded with my Good Lady Friend/Sister Genique Hamilton. It is truly our passion to start a strong mentoring program for young women from the City of Newark and surrounding cities.
Esco: Nice, where does your inspiration come from? Most begin making money, leave their urban community and never look back.
 LM: Well, I had a very challenging childhood and upbringing, so when I was about 18 I made a promise to myself to exceed all expectations and succeed at all I had visioned. The inspiration to help people and help young girls especially, comes from my thankfulness to all those who helped me and continue to help me,

Esco: So, you dig deep from within... First thought was "anybody can make it if magic made it" lol
I totally understand though. I know of your challenges, would you like to share with the readers?
 LM: Lol. I guess. I'm not the typical dig deep within person, well at least I don't think so. I know others do but I don't! :)
Esco: You really are... we've had so many deep conversations. You're special... whether you realize it or not.
 LM: Well just like thousands of other people I grew up poor and had to experience living with a Mom who was addicted to Drugs for all my childhood and some of my adulthood life. That itself was difficult, challenging, and all thee above. Almost impossible to deal with but I made it through.
  Well thank you! :) I'm truly honored!
Esco: You know what it is... more than welcome. You've inspired me on some levels. This isn't about me though, it's your interview.  Now the mentoring, what ages are you reaching out to?
 LM: Ages 12 thru 20.
Esco: The impressionable ages... Is there a location for them to meet up at or do you guys go to the kids?
 LM: Well as of right now we have partnered with about 26 schools in Newark to recruit and gather girls. This is our pilot year so it's a trial run but a serious trial run before we expand. We'll be accepting 21 young women into the program this year.
Esco: This is a big deal and much needed in urban America... I salute you. How can women get involved and help out?
 LM: For all of those lovely and inspiring women out there that want to get involved any kind of way can email us at newarkgalsinc@gmail.com We can use all the help we can get!!!!

Esco: Is there anything that you would like to share that I didn't touch on?
 LM: No, Thank you for this opportunity!!! I'm flattered and as always it's such a pleasure to know you and work with you. Hope to see you down at the Breast Cancer Walk on October 21st, downtown Newark. Sign up at http://main.acsevents.org/goto/NewarkGALSINCMakingStrides and bring the Boys too!!! :)

 LM: Thanks again! To all the readers Keep Pushing, Keep Living, and Keep Focus!
Esco: Cool, thanks LaMonica... I once again enjoyed your time. I will put that walk on my calendar and spread the word.
 LM: Thanks!  :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment